The festive season can be a difficult one for unhappy couples. Perhaps your relationship has been in trouble for some time, or maybe you decided to keep up appearances for the sake of your children and extended family. Being together for a concentrated period of time, a time which should be full of joy, can put additional strain on any relationship but particularly one that is struggling.
The beginning of January is a peak time for couples to decide to separate, following the difficulties of Christmas. But what is the best way to separate? How can you ensure that from the beginning, the separation is as amicable as possible, particularly when there are children involved?
Whatever your reasons for wanting to separate from your partner, a family consultant specialising in separation and divorce can help you decide your next steps. This is a big decision so make sure you spend some proper time thinking it through.
Here are 10 reasons why you should consult with Separation Options first:
1. Going through separation can feel overwhelming, like a minefield. We will go through the different processes with you step by step to ensure you understand your options.
2. We can introduce you to a solicitor who understands your situation. Our recommended solicitors will be approachable and committed to helping you work things out as amicably as possible.
3. You can meet with your former partner to talk to each other directly, with Separation Options present. This lessens the possibility of misunderstandings ensuring there are no surprises and you can make your decisions together.
4. We will support you to acknowledge the decisions that you agree on and help you to try to ensure your feelings don’t get in the way of your parenting decisions.
5. We can help you decide what, how and when to tell your children about your separation. It really helps if you can keep it visual and draw the new arrangements out for them but telling them doesn’t stop there.
6. We’ll work with you to create a Parenting Plan. Making a plan either before or after you separate will give your child(ren) reassurance and a sense of security. Email us and we can send you a free template.
7. We can help you manage your feelings of hurt and betrayal if you were left and the guilt and confusion if you were the leaver, these decisions are rarely clear cut.
8. We will support you to keep talking. For some people there is a tendency when things get rough to withdraw, go silent and everything can become a source of conflict, like when the washing up gets left! We can help you keep on track.
9. Your child’s voice is important, and we can help you think through the kinds of decisions your child is able to make and the decisions that you as their parents will need to make.
10. We can come with you to the meetings with your lawyer to help you ask the important questions, understand the responses and support you afterwards.
With separating there are so many decisions to make and these are even harder when feelings are involved. Let Separation Options help you to gain clarity, give you support and ensure it all happens as smoothly as possible.
If you’re thinking of separating, get in touch as soon as you can.
By email: email@example.com
Call: 07711 102461